Top Ten things to love about living in this house:
1. Privacy. Because it’s situated on a hill, and because of how it sits with the two adjacent homes, there is a lot of privacy (and beautiful views).
2. Trees. There are lots of giant gorgeous mature trees on the property. These provide a lot cooling in the summer (you may rarely have to run AC)
3. Yard. The yard is enormous (1/4 acre). This again adds to the private feel of the house.
4. Views. From the living room, front bedroom, and attic office you have views of South Mountain. From other rooms, you have beautiful views of the southern tip of South Mountain, toward the town of Millburn, including a beautiful sunset most evenings.
5. Quiet. The house has good acoustics. Someone can be in the den watching TV and someone else can be upstairs and there’s not a lot of noise bleed.
6. Light. There are lots of windows that direct a lot of natural light into the house, especially the kitchen and the living room.
7. Garage. Maybe not a big deal to most, but it was our first garage. It’s been great to have a place to keep the car in the winter and assorted “stuff.”
8. Convenient. The home is super close to Maplewood Village and the train, as well as Target, Home Depot, Shopping etc.
9. Entertaining. The deck is right off the kitchen and lends itself perfectly to family and friend gatherings.
10. Other. Unique house overall, including beautiful fireplace and front window.
A letter from the Sellers about the neighborhood:
“Park Avenue has changed much in the 5 years we’ve been here. When we moved in there were not many families with small children, but a few of the houses have cycled and now there are relatively small kids (infants, toddlers, and elementary age) in many of the homes. The walk to the train is about 10 minutes and takes you by the golf course and memorial park (all very scenic). One of the best “features” of this neighborhood is the view of South Mountain. It really makes one feel like they’re not living in a suburb of NYC, but rather somewhere in upstate New York or Vermont. We are very close to Tuscan school, which is great even if your kids are not of school age yet as it has a very nice playground. This neighborhood is also extremely convenient to shopping. We are about 5 minutes from Target/Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and a number of other grocery stores. Finally, the neighbors are very friendly and helpful (taking care of our cats when we travel, have our key, etc.).”
A list of recent renovations:
Removed oil tank from front yard
Removed carpet from entire house and had all hardwood floors refinished throughout house
Replanted front yard with ground cover and maple tree
Landscaped back yard installing new bushes, plants, and trees
Replaced floor, vanity, and toilet in upstairs bathroom
Replaced floor, vanity, and toilet in downstairs bathroom
Insulated attic and the den
Replaced backdoors (from solid doors to windowed doors)
Remodeled kitchen (new cabinets, new countertops, new floor, all new appliances)
Repointed the front steps, repaired two retaining walls.
Installed pea rock patio by garage.
Repainted entire interior, including removing wall paper from one bedroom.
A shareable picture album can be found here: