• Great light in living and family rooms
• Easy flow for entertaining – 30 people move about easily on the first floor. Sun-filled first floor office
• Spacious bedrooms – keep a twin over full bunk bed in one with ample room for other furniture and play space.
• Master bath en suite
• Basement rec room – great place for kids or for your man cave
• Huge workshop for the DIYer with large workbench and storage
• One block to Maplecrest Park (a great place to learn to bike ride) and easy walk to Seth Boyden School. Friendly neighborhood with kids from newborns to teenagers available for babysitting
• Outdoor grilling – our grill has a direct gas line – no need to worry about refilling propane tanks
• Dinners on the patio with friends and neighbors
• Central air keeps the house wonderfully cool in the summer
Dear Future Homeowner,
Welcome to our home. We hope you will see its many charms and that the enhancements we have made over the year will help you feel at home. When house-hunting in the area 11 years ago, we were struck by the cramped living spaces and bedrooms in most of the homes we saw. When we viewed this house, we fell in love with the layout, gracious size of its rooms, rock-solid brick construction and abundance of natural light. As our kids now say, nothing can blow this house down.
We love design and have worked hard to update the house while letting its original character show through. I think you will agree that it is move-in ready and can serve the needs of couples or families. We are fortunate to enjoy a large, light-filled family room with built in shelving to display books and collections. Our long living room has a cozy wood-burning fireplace and space for more your more formal furnishings.
We have hosted dinners for 14 in our dining room and our updated kitchen provides us with plenty of storage, counter space, high end appliances, a dedicated pantry and an eat-in area for casual meals.
Upstairs, our Master Suite is a spacious room with two closets that can easily accommodate a king size bed. And the en suite bathroom has been a huge plus – especially as our kids have grown bigger. Two children could easily share one of the two other bedrooms leaving another for a guest room. We added built-in shelving to the other bedroom closets for extra toy or clothes storage.
You’ll find that our basement is enormous with a large rec room and original bar as well as a workshop for tackling household and DIY projects.And finally, the backyard patio is a lovely spot in the warmer months where we have enjoyed countless dinners outdoors.
33 Essex Road is about a mile from Maplewood Village and a convenient five minutes from Whole Foods, Target and Home Depot. The Jitney service to the train station stops just down the street and around the corner. The ride to New York is 30 minutes on the express train. You can get literally get on the 6:08 train at Penn Station and arrive in Maplewood at 6:37.
Maplewood is truly the best of both worlds. We have a small town feel with great coffee shops, restaurants and boutiques. Yet we are adjacent to the 2000 acre South Mountain Reservation where you can hike, bike, run or meander in the woods.And if you are feeling restless, head east to the hustle and vibrancy of New York or drivewest and you’ll find yourself in surprisingly rural western New Jersey amid local farms offering pumpkin and apple picking.
We hope that you will give our home a chance to bring you years of happiness and good memories.
Current Owners of 33 Essex Rd